Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Musings...

WHY is it so hard for me to teach math? (I mean, other than the fact that I SUCK at it and HATE it? Oh, wait...maybe there's my answer.) Seriously, I try REALLY hard to not let my inherent dislike of the subject color my teaching, but sometimes (like today), when teaching something like simple subtraction or elapsed time, I think, "WHY IS THIS SO HARD? WHY CAN YOU NOT GET THIS?" (For those of you who don't know [and I can't imagine who you might be, because I'm pretty sure only Neil, Gwenn, Melody, Jen and Meeshi ever read this blog, haha], I homeschool my six-year-old daughter. I, myself, have already mastered simple subtraction and elapsed time. And did you like that I used a DOUBLE parenthetical question/statement here? I really could not be any more skilled in the use of parentheses.)
If anyone has any suggestions (other than, "Bag it, what does she need math for, anyway?") on how to make this more interesting/fun (hell, I'd settle for "not excruciatingly tedious and painful and taking up 90 friggin' minutes a day!), I'd greatly appreciate it.
I'm off now, to check into a parentheses rehab.
But seriously, I love them (obviously). Also, capitals. I wish there were MORE ways (other than bold! italics! many many exclamation points!) for me to convey my emotion. I think the only reasonable way is for you ALL to come over and dish with me. And bring wine. Preferably red.
Night, all.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I'm on my way....bottle in hand. ;)

Melody Strayer said...

I would (but I live in Pennsylvania). So I can't (and I don't like red wine anyway)(or really any kind of wine, actually).

Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies said...

I'm a math nerd (don't tell anyone) so I really enjoy sharing math with Kaya. Maybe it would be more fun to play some sort of math games (you know, like drinking games only dryer) to get through the lessons. One book we really enjoyed was Games for Math by Peggy Kaye (you could borrow it from the library [that big building with all of the books] instead of buying it) it might take the drudgery out of the math portion of the day.

Gretchen said...

Meeshi! I laughed out loud (fuh REAL) seeing your double-parentheses!
I wub you!
Writing down the title now...

Jen said...

I just like saying "double parenthetical".