Saturday, April 12, 2008

Whew...someone pass the Two-Buck Chuck!

Tonight I volunteered to be one of the babysitters for a "Parents' Night Out" program at the church where Micah goes to pre-school. I worked with my friends Penny and Tracy (Tracy watched the 2 "babies" in the nursery); Penny and I had 17 kids, aged 2 1/2 to 9 from 6 to 9 PM.
We fed them pizza, watched a VeggieTales movie, had a scavenger hunt inside the church, played musical chairs, played "freeze dance", and I taught them the words/motions to the Bigsby song "Do You Love Jesus?" (for a cute video on the topic, see Gwenn's blog, at the right).

Jon picked up my 3 before it was over, so they could go to bed. A few of the kids were still there when Penny and I started pushing chairs back, wiping down tables, vacuuming, etc. One of the kids thought it would be funny to lead the other few in pretending that the vacuum was a tornado, so we had 3 four-year-olds and a five-year-old, running from the vacuum, shrieking, "Tornado! Tornado!" Well, I should amend that to say TWO of the four-year-olds and one 5-year-old were shrieking, "Tornado!" The remaining 4-year-old misunderstood the point of the exercise, and was running around, shrieking, "Potato! Potato!"
Truly a great moment in church-childcare history.

But I'm serious about the wine, people. You've got to do better than this!

Dammit. Oh, well. I guess I'll just go to bed. (I'm saying that last like Eeyore.)

1 comment:

Gwenn Mangine said...

My friend Kris gave me a CASE of it for my birthday-- I *might* be willing to share...