Saturday, September 6, 2008

Late-breaking news! My "MOTY" award called into question!

Today was a good day. It was a semi-stormy day, which means that the OBX battened down hatches, bought a lot of beer, and waited for "Hurricane" Hana. Which never really happened, FYI. I'm certainly thankful that we were spared, but at the same time, it's really hilarious. However, we did experience some sound-side flooding, severe enough that downtown Manteo flooded deep enough to kayak on the streets. That's ALWAYS a good time. Jon received a call at home from one of the town commissioners about the flooding, and he went and made sure the roadblocks were in place. Then we had a hurricane party with the rest of the Full Moon Cafe crew.
All of our children were splashing the street, wake-boarding, kayaking, getting entirely soaking wet. (Mine, at least, were clothed.) However, at one point, an older couple waded through and saw my three children splashing around in the waterfront "garage". They immediately chastised them (although I was about 20 feet away and COMPLETELY supervising them), saying, "That's NASTY, children! There's all kinds of germs in that water!" When my kids kind of ignored them (not rudely, just not really paying attention to strangers), they said, "Well! I guess no one really gives a crap what their kids are doing!" Let me tell you, people, Mama Bear ROARED to the surface. Well, I should say, Snarky Bear. I called across the sidewalk, "Actually, we DO give a crap! We're all good, thanks for asking!"
Seriously, people. Raise your own kids. I'll raise mine (and make them shower when they've swum in sound water, thank you very much). However, I did get to see said couple a few more times during the evening, and every time was able to get a comment heard, something to the effect of, "Well, it's a good thing I'm MOTHER OF THE YEAR! AND I NEVER LET MY KIDS SWIM IN THE SOUND!"
Good times, good times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go, Mama Bear!

Quinn said...

ok... i totally missed the flooding downtown. was home all day cleaning house and wondered why when i came downtown that everything was closed... no water on the streets... LOL I missed all the fun... bummer

Anonymous said...

I friggin' love you.....that is all.

Melody Strayer said...

You'll always be MOTY to me, sissy.